Back to Library

For the FAFSA - Independent Vs. Dependent Student

Your dependency status determines whose information you must report on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

If you’re a dependent student, you will report your and your parents’ information.

If you’re an independent student, you will report your own information (and, if you’re married, your spouse’s).

To find out your dependency status, scroll down to see the a graphic format of questions that will lead to either status. 

By clicking on the link below, find answers to the following questions: 

  • Am I dependent or independent?
  • Which parent’s information should I report on the FAFSASM?
  • What if I don’t live with my parents?
  • What if my parents aren’t going to help me pay for college and refuse to provide information for my FAFSASM?
  • What if I have no contact with my parents?

Your donations help make a difference

Fostering Success Michigan is a program of Educate Tomorrow that aims to increase access and success in higher education and post-college careers for youth with experience in foster care. Learn how you can contribute to building a holistic network that insulates (i.e., strengthens protective factors and reduces risks) the education to career "pipeline." 

Make a Donation