This lesson plan designed for youth, walks participants through a 50 minute lesson focusing on how to…
Instead of enjoying the warmth of home and family, they scramble for a place to stay, often hiding their situation due to embarrassment. The fear of homelessness during breaks creates tremendous stress, preventing students from focusing on schoolwork. Be part of the solution by helping your community develop a plan for assisting these vulnerable youth with housing over breaks.
Campuses could utilize the following options to help support these young people:
1. Allow youth to stay in their dorms without having to pay.
2. Open up international student housing for youth who are homeless and students from foster care.
3. Use Student Support Services dollars for housing during breaks.
4. Create a website where youth can confidentially disclose their status and what services they need.
5. Designate a single point of contact (SPOC) on campus.
To learn more, click the link to the right of the page.
Fostering Success Michigan is a program of The New Foster Care that aims to increase access and success in higher education and post-college careers for youth with experience in foster care. Learn how you can contribute to building a holistic network that insulates (i.e., strengthens protective factors and reduces risks) the education to career "pipeline."Make a Donation